Thursday, March 31, 2011

It Takes a Village


One of my lowest points throughout these past months was saying goodbye to my children on the morning of November 29th, not knowing if I would ever see them again in this life. I kissed them and hugged them with tears streaming down my face.  Matt took the boys to daycare and I sat there in a lonely, quiet house and thought about the fact that someone else would be picking them up from daycare that day.    When Matt got back we headed for the Atlanta airport and I think I cried all the way to the Cartersville exit.  

I love everything about being a Mom.  I love dressing my boys, feeding them, going on family outings, reading to them, playing with them, watching movies with them, teaching them new things, and the list could go on and on.  I had no idea the joys that I was missing out on before becoming a parent.   It is so much fun!   When I started getting sick in August, I was physically unable to do certain things for my children.  At first we thought that I was tired from the adjustment to having children.  As the weeks went on and on I could do less and less.  I developed some horrible pain in my wrists and my knees.   I couldn’t even pick up my boys or give them a bath. On the nights Matt got home late I had to have someone meet me at my house to help me feed, bathe and put my children to bed.   It broke my heart that I was not able to care for them the way a mother should.

I truly believe it takes a village to raise a child, especially when you go through a circumstance like I have these past months.  I have not worried about my children one time.  I know that they are in good hands.  I am so thankful for my family (my Mom and Dad, Matt’s Mom and Dad, Brad, Angela, Blakely, Barrie, etc.).  I am thankful for every children’s volunteer at Rock Bridge Community Church who has loved and cared for my children.  I’m thankful for the First Baptist Daycare for taking care of Eyasu and the First Methodist Daycare for taking care of Abreham.  I am thankful for all of the pictures and texts people have sent me about my boys.  My boys are happy and very well adjusted because of the love and care of so many people during this time!  THANK YOU!

I am thankful for Skype and Facetime on iPhone.  It’s so wonderful to see videos and pictures of my boys.  They have both grown so much. Abreham, who is 18 months old and weighs 33 lbs., is now wearing Eyasu’s 3T hand me downs. I still don’t know if I am going to be able to pick him up!!  And Eyasu’s English is so good that I can have a conversation with him. 

It’s been four months since I have seen my boys, but this past Monday we booked a flight for Eyasu and Abreham to come to the Big Apple on May 1st.  So, it’s only 31 days until I get to see my boys!  Yay!! I am very excited.  Please pray that we will all stay healthy for this visit.

My doctors believe I will be here in New York through June.  That’s just three more months!!  In three more months, I will be able to care for my boys and do all of the things that a Mom loves to do!  Until then, my boys have a village of people to support, love and nurture them.  And for that, I am eternally grateful!


Abreham with Buddy Henley
Hanging out with cousin Barrie
Abreham with a friend at Daycare


Eyasu with Granddad